25 February 2013

Why is my daughter already kicking my ass on Twitter?

"What can you tell me about Twitter?"

This was my 25-year-old daughter asking me, her 55-year-old dad, for help with social media. It was an out-of-body experience.

Meredith is an artist with a BFA from Sam Houston State. She's now applying to graduate programs to pursue her MFA. Up until now, she's been all about Facebook. But it turns out that her peers in the fine arts prefer to communicate on Twitter. So she's decided to widen her online footprint to include tweeting.

So I told her about tweeting and following, retweets and hashtags. Gave her a 10-minute orientation.

Later that evening, she freaked out.

"Holy crap," she said. "I just got 143 retweets and 60 favorites for something I posted about two minutes ago."

Don't know about you, but I've never come close to a response like that from Twitter. I get excited if one of my posts gets retweeted twice in a day.

Today she's got 163 tweets and 74 favorites.

Here's is her tweet.

The switch from bandage to eyepatch takes The Governor from victim to warrior. Work it!  

So there are some obvious things she did right.
  • She used the #TheWalkingDead hashtag to tap into an ongoing conversation.
  • She posted her tweet during the show, when the conversation was hottest.
  • She offered a pithy, relevant and original thought that the Deadverse found to its liking.
I may have 2,100 followers, but my daughter is kicking my ass without really trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment